Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_StZ91aeqT8rDupCiv9lnNIj-UJJZI1m6G8ySJNdT_PxGVxDCMDDwgJiVFNJtW9W1j8>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:14:30 +0000

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_lFoP14l5OBMOeS1ag5gOpTZ76BqcmeT4YKB_Ft_KDxocR5ns-Amo3yD7jrfO0fhyJJrCKbW635Vmvk7eeuxRSdp3lYAj.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>What I propose is that Than be treated as a patron deity of headhunting
>(ie his worshippers
>have the magical knowledge to make heads) and that as well as being
>worshipped within the
>cult of Thanatar, he can also be worshipped by Orlanth (and possibly
>Shargash and Zorak

As I see it, what's chaotic about Than(atar) is not that he's a headhunter: it's that he imprisons the souls of his victims inside their own rotting heads. He's a Chaotic perversion of a normal, healthy Orlanthi activity, just like Thed/Ragnaglar is a perversion of sex, Malia of fertility and Gagarth of violence.

Stephen