Re: An analogy for Esrolia?

From: mankcam <cma96352_at_sDli4-rRL2np9qMPSaj6WWAEDuX_PHEnOfveiVN5jrNzsekM4JoQ5rgqaJPM19256T->
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:31:43 -0000

Ahhh, that's the kinda gold I was seeking mate... that's quite evocative Bryan, your descriptions certainly bring Esrolia to life.

One of the reasons I love Glorantha so much is that, despite it's fantasic nature, it seems to evoke a realism not found in many settings. For fantasy I always keep returning to GM in this setting, using either HQ rules or RQ rules for the mechanics.

It fits my interpretation of the place for sure, having the mediterrean flavour although I was thinking more frescos than tapestries, but I think I prefer the tapestry idea, just so I don't present the place as a complete Mycenaen rip-off, which it certainly isn't.

I think I remember seeing some pics somewhere of Holy Country soldiers wearing Egyptian-style head dresses - initially I thought that these were Esrolit, but now I think of them as soldiers from the The City of Wonders (when ruled by Belintar the Pharoah), as I picture the City of Wonders as a fantastic cross between Ancient Eygpt and Melinbone.

I picture the actual Esrolit much more Myceanean, well at least the women, as many of the artwork appear to be based on Minoan priestesses. I'm having trouble visualising how to present the males, as I don't think their dress is intended to be direct Mycenaen copies.

I found this pic of a Mycenaen chariot - I notice that the armour is not dissimilar to a pic of an Esrolit warrior I have seen in the Stafford Library book:

http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/jp_vieiras_portfolio/picture30729.aspx

Perhaps my Esrolit warriors may also have a large influence from the Hittites?:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hittites%20pics%20osprey/Acidophilus-Bifidus/Civ/Hittite001.jpg

This pics about mid down the page seems to have some of the ideas I was after as well:

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/war.htm

Although, given their Theylan ancestry, there may be a few 'european barbarian' influences I need to throw in.

All good food for thought

cheers