Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_VpfbudllkrjuKmMc4nezXJtQ6BLNjnUw03AJ5fP3jfZS_JQ7sbLZpCfPoDzbjoxmX6i>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:05:57 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_b-u5DuXa9fv7nfUDOf6z9yspk5M2tyZMxgWjl924OMnnn5DpUULegDlqpSyxfL7_I3F7o_gu2WdoGT3tG9SEaUxQ9oXh.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> **
>
> On 11/27/2011 8:13 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
> > Really? If there isn't a major spiritual component to it, then why do
> Ogres
> > eat people so much?
> Because they are monsters who like breaking taboos and inflicting pain.
> If to borrow from Herodotus, there were Ogres in a tribe that ate their
> dead but considered cremation to be an abhorrent crime, then the Ogres
> would be burning their victims alive.
>
> You aren't convincing me. Wwe have multiple descriptions of Ogres that use
their desire for human meat as a key characteristic. We have one description, the Cacodemon cult write up, that ignores it. Isn't it more reasonable to assume the cult is wrong, incomplete, or, for whatever reason, not interested in cannibalism rather than all the other references being wrong? It's easy enough to explain away, after all; I've given a couple of theories in previous posts, and I am sure there are an immense number of alternate answers for any GM who is interested. This seems to be a YGWV issue, so I'm not sure that further argument will get us anywhere.

Peter Larsen