Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_w-IbYlzju042oZGVsukycgZek7iJn78fcA5nGQ6k_FVsfRvMzKQ6E3foZ5doN5qC>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:44:15 -0000

Agree completely, but would just add that chaos magic by definition is magic that annihilates the soul. That's what chaos is. So I think your description of Thanatari magic here and mine in other posts are completely compatible.

I think most modern Orlanthi don't take heads because over time it's turned out that those that do take heads occasionally discover 'advanced' rites that enable them to get even more benefit from their heads more quickly. Spirits and visions come to them that reveal even more brutal and abhorrent practices, and before long they're making darklight candles, avoiding headgear and such. It's not that taking heads per se is against the traditional laws, during the darkness it was a useful if icky technique that enhanced some communities chances of survival, it's just that it's proven to be a very slippery slope indeed. And it is icky, after all, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as cannibalism.

Simon Hibbs