Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: Tim <tim_at_A4DZSiDkvFm-jRTXJHNO6gU9p9WKcUlAGC7lWS1Oz2PkVIisiVkAd-iJS381H5c4uH4xGGgg>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:35:20 -0000

> Orlanth is oath-bound to protect his kin, as much as he is
> oath-bound to give justice to Thed. It is the typical case of
> conflicting obligations leading to doom and destruction. (Compare
> the farcical last day of Cuchulainn...)
> [...]
> With my Lhankor Mhy leanings, I just wonder what were the family
> obligations towards Thed. Is she a sister of Eiritha? There is a
> notable absence of goat goddesses in the Orlanthi sphere of influence.

I've been wondering the same thing. If Orlanth offered "fair" compensation (whatever that may be) then Orlanthi Justice is satisfied. (think of all those scenes in King of Dragon Pass when neighbouring clans come demanding justice). However if Thed is Kin, then you have a legal case between members of the same family, which is Kinstrife...

...Also a thought on whether/how Rape can turn you into a Broo, or canabalism into an Ogre. Not all Chaos is immediately obvious to the casual glance - Ogres look human, Broo can look like anything, and there is a Chaos Feature of "look harmless" as well. Since "normal" Orlanthi don't go around raping or murdering and eating their neighbours, obviously those that do have something wrong with them, and even if they don't appear to have physically changed they have "obviously" become chaotic, and a chaotic rapist is a Broo, and a chaotic canibal is an Ogre - Q.E.D. (It might not stand up to scrutiny in a modern scientific journal, but would you argue with the Storm Bull who identifies Chaos in the perpetrator?