Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: jorganos <joe_at_nXtG6D9LanbDsBK4pH0fTjsV_hIMa-o7WlbV_Ce-Rs9f3a9graCNOBx-8iDaeX_BN-9EA2I.>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:43:57 -0000

Donald Oddy:
> I'm not convinced Orlanth actually made Thed into the Goddess of Rape. Rather he accepted her choice which was possibly made because Orlanth was unwilling to outlaw Ragnaglar.

I agree - Thed made one of those impossible choices, just like Argrath will on his Lightbringers' Quest when asking for Sheng Seleris (whose imprisonment makes him outside of the scope that the assembled deities holding the net can offer). This is an act of breaking the universe, and a fail-fail-situation for the deities assembled to grant justice.

> Even by your interpretion Orlanth does not curse the rapist but the rape victim. Which is possible but does not fit well with the concept of Ernalda as Orlanth's equal. Only Ernalda the Doormat would accept such "justice".

It is the choice of Thed, an action cursing the rule of Orlanth and Ernalda. Massively powerful magic.

> The whole myth is very dodgy with the idea of Thed punishing her enemy (presumably Orlanth) by hurting Ernalda and her daughters. That only makes sense if the old concept of women being the property of their fathers or husbands applies. Perhaps a hangover from the rule of Yelm.

It is a somewhat mystic way, renouncing powerful personal assets in exchange for a hideous power.

Not all too different from the choices Harsaltar and his siblings made when creating the Household of Death, really. The more powerful the sacrifice made, the more dire the power gained.

> Certainly I see Heortlings interpreting the myth as "bad choices lead to chaos" with Babeester Gor being Ernalda's solution if Orlanth is reluctant to deal effectively with the problem.

Orlanth is oath-bound to protect his kin, as much as he is oath-bound to give justice to Thed. It is the typical case of conflicting obligations leading to doom and destruction. (Compare the farcical last day of Cuchulainn...)

Orlanth is powerless, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Thed refuses all compensation offered by Orlanth. Not even greater Outlawry for Ragnaglar will be accepted as compensation. In the end, Orlanth is forced into outlawry by the actions of his kinsman.

With my Lhankor Mhy leanings, I just wonder what were the family obligations towards Thed. Is she a sister of Eiritha? There is a notable absence of goat goddesses in the Orlanthi sphere of influence.