Re: Relationships. Getting help

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_pLYA5TYf3kLCOca9n9mngSg6vrasW9Smp9FyJ99AVZda-2_1w7U6iWAoUCd7COMDSV>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:55:19 +0000

"michaelL" <michaelalewis25_at_oQsDCgi82_4Q9UcPFvTE8_bkirypj5k3tqKdKKhCdIwc_0w3ykNUEceLg4s3QvytKv92faljrutBp4LPEj7TIQ.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Do you have to have a relationship ability on your character sheet to get help from people in your clan?
>For instance, if I needed healing from a priestess, would I have to have the ability: relationship healer?

Not if it's something trivial. If it would involve effort, cost, time or danger, then you'd need to persuade them using an ability.

If the priestess is part of the clan and offers her services to the rest of the clan on a regular basis, then your basic Relationship (to clan) ability would be fine. It allows you to call on all your clans resources and get their help.

You could break it out as a separate ability (Relationship to clan: 14; relationship to clan healer, +2) or treat her as an individual patron/friend etc if you preferred, but it's not necessary.

>What if a character dosen't have any kin (What a surprise! A PC playing a loner!). Does he need that ability to ask for healing?

Why would a clan healer help some random stranger who turns up expecting to be given valuable healing magic? Yes, he'd need some sort of ability to persuade her to help him, unless the Narrator wants to waive that for plot purposes.

But he doesn't have to use a Relationship ability: he could use persuasion, or wealth, or ask another party member who does have the relationship to argue on his behalf.

Bear in mind that people without kin in Orlanthi society ARE a surprise. They're probably dangerous outlaws, and so can be killed on sight...

Stephen