Re: chaos mages/sorcerers

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_S9-eEtnLjpKq9wUggAscHjSm4gV06ncHpvPTaUj0g0i1ovq1-ARDCpw7Uhps>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 13:56:36 +0000 (GMT)

I thought the Boristi ritual of Shriving was a bit more subtle (and powerful) than that, in that it could also transfer taints of Chaos which were not enough to manifest as a Chaotic feature away from the penitent, and into the Borist's familiar instead. Or at least that's what the Borist tells the penitent ...
The details were (probably deliberately) left a bit vague, and my source for this is unofficial anyway, but only shriving people who already mainfest Chaotic features might be a bit limiting.
Richard Hayes

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_Ajsh9KMnuoE7027lHVBwQIU5mGdB9j7iZtu9mdIzJhXXxTmxcAcszGScpvCma1hY4GtnQGNB6X_utjjyiew.yahoo.invalid> To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, 1 December 2011, 11:49
Subject: Re: chaos mages/sorcerers

Well there are animist and thesit traditions which invoke of channel chaotic entities, but there are also wizards who use chaotic powers. There is a type of magic called Tapping, in which something worldly is destroyed to make power to fuel spells. Most wizards won't do it. A few will with particular limitations about what they tap. One sect (Borists I think, one of the many little practices from Salfester IIRC) hold that tapping chaotic creatures is acceptable, and so wind up absorbing their chaotic nature into themselves.

That's rather a traditional RQ3 understanding, it may all be seen differently through an HQ2 lens.