Re: chaos mages/sorcerers

From: jorganos <joe_at_T350vsSPsj_9HLyqX8GfshgiHqn-303sEIpUXd2d8wBZySxktmBxLgKGKiutu2Dfxk9eeCCJ>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:11:20 -0000

Richard Hayes:

> Atroxic Church and Delecti
> I wondered if Sir Ethilrist's Atroxic Church might be tainted with Chaos by its demonic associations, but on balance thought this was unlikely. Though their Heortling neighbours might subjectively take a different view ...

This is an important distinction between Glorantha and e.g. Melnibone/the Young Kingdoms: the Underworld, home of the demons, though generally malign to life, is not per se chaotic. Most of it has a "Land of the Dead" aura, some may remind of Dante's vision of Hell, but most natives are not bent upon destroying the Universe.

There are plenty chaotic denizens of the Underworld - starting with Krarsht and her minions, including Nontraya, who may or may not be identical to Vivamort...

> Similar considerations apply to Delecti -- I am pretty sure the necromancer's Heortling neighbours say he is Chaotic. I am less sure about whether the neighbours are right about this.

Delecti's vampiric minions may be chaotic, but I don't think the necromancer himself is. Damned by association at least.