Re: Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part Two: Westerners

From: jorganos <joe_at_6RR9laiIGJYeeLLTvs8gi1Fg7hC0sJ123bl1bN0jlE14WBlyw40RGBMiF_ELpIinpzARBBK->
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 14:29:29 -0000

"Frank" <frank_rafaelsen_at_...>:

> Being first and foremost a gloranthan _gamer_, I have to ask one question though: are the changes worth it?

Are there changes (other than the depictions)?

We only went for mediaeval because of two or three illustrations in Genertela Book and the terms "church" etc..

Way back in the 1990ies we discussed Thracian cataphracts rather than 16th century bullet-proof cuirasses as a model for Loskalmi knights.

Sticking too close to European history is bound to produce fallacies. The Dark Age following the fall of the Romans in Europe and the Mediterranean doesn't really have an equivalent in Gloranthan history, even with the Closing and the Syndics Ban. Instead, there is a much more cataclysmic dark age - the Greater Darkness - quite a bit earlier.

If you really want to insist to find comparable breaks in Europe, you'd have to combine the Thera outbreak with the (still not entirely firmly dated) Chiemgau Impact and a lesser Ice Age of greater proportions to get close to the more sheltered parts of Glorantha during the Greater Darkness.