Re: Noobie Sartar campaign: Need adventure ideas

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_TZwskKGtGhhYl6RHNu4_88qTx9jFBdI8zfdK7Ez1eUMtDk_Vwmg7ic4bcxHxVjKxACUVNrg>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:50:26 -0000

> On 25/11/2011, at 1:09 AM, michaelL wrote:
> >
> > Going to start a new campaign in a couple of days and I need some easy adventure ideas. I'm new to Glorantha and know very little.
> >
> > Here are my players and playing styles
> >
> > S has created a ranger/loner type character who has some sort of a relationship with trolls. He trades with them in some fashion. He worships Yinkin because of the rangering wild-child abilities. S is a traditional power-gamer. He likes to use the system to his advantage. He's already asking what he can and cannot do. He is also a strong role player.
>
> [P]ower-gamer[s] playing a Yinkini may find themselves a bit dissatisfied.
> If they want a character that combines the wild loner type with more power-gamer friendly powerful combat abilities, they might want to try Odayla instead.

That's silly.

Let this power-gamer add 10 points to his Yinkin Rune Affinity taken at a starting ability of 17. Let him then take a breakout ability to which he can also add 10 points to the starting +1. Which breakout ability you ask? How about Fight with Tooth & Claw? Or Shapechange into Hevren Alynx? With a starting rating of 18W (7W + 11!) any power-gamer worth his salt should be able to play a kind of Kzin/ Beast/ Wolverine/ Sabertooth blood-thirsty maniac that eats Odaylan Master-Hunters for breakfast if he so wishes!

As for the troll angle, let him have Contacts: Troll Caravans 13 & Darkness 13 as his first Rune Affinity. (What about Disorder or Death at 13 for his second one, mmmh?!?)

With HQ, any kind of character can be "power-gamed" &/or can have powerful fighting abilities because the system is so open & that's part of the beauty of the game. An Odaylan can be a better fighter than a Humakti, a farmer can be a better leader than a thane, an Ernaldan can be a better healer than a White Lady, a warrior can be a better poet than a skald, etc...

But, hey, maybe this discussion better belongs on the HQ-list?!?