Re: Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part Two: Westerners

From: Jeff <richaje_at_a743ESiI2uI0WtIsmAYkS6DcV4rzRQUwFpN7JhrTPhoBcA8Ofycv9w_u8Uw3soWBn055>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:17:15 -0000

> I never said Catholicism. Religion is just one aspect of life - other parts of it (eg armour, clothing) were always portrayed as quite similar to medieval Europe. The old RQ3 material on Western Genertela, for example, made if fairly clear that the Malkioni were not Catholics IMO - but did tend to portray the West as being like medieval Europe *apart* from religion.

To be honest, in Greg's old materials that's not really present, except generic use of terms like "knights" and "peasants". Greg and I both joked that it is no different than old translations of Livy or Plutarch that referred to Greek or Roman "knights" and "serfs".

In truth, the old stories are more high fantasy than anything else.

> While we are on the topic, the Western churches are still even now described using a lot of terminology suggestive of at least Christianity, if not Catholicism specifically (Saint, for example). The idea that they are Catholicish certainly didn't spring from nowhere.

The term Saint is not widely used in the Western Sections of the Guide, except as a synonym for "Ascended Master". Greg and I have had a lot of discussions over the last few years trying to use terms that lack erroneous connotations. You can see some of that in Sartar (god-talker instead of godi, for instance).

Jeff