Re: Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part Two: Westerners

From: David Cake <dave_at_IMQmgESfK9Fc-sPYoAhqpeqASh3RlZX6rxVPQwyz5h6EYcokCwva0TXF8pC1at9yzKcQ85E>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 03:17:42 +0800

On 09/12/2011, at 3:12 AM, Jeff wrote:

>> 	I personally think a lot of the messy, highly syncretic (and confused) ideas of Renaissance (and evern 20th C Esotericism) ideas at least suggest the sort of 'you can fit a round peg into a square hole with a big enough hammer' feel of late God Learnerism/Malioneranism, for example.

> Oh absolutely. And as Umberto Eco's "Search for the Perfect Language" is one of my go-to books to get the mindset of wizardry down, I know that is a background influence on our conception of the West. But I tend to start with Neo-Platonists, Presocratics, and other philosophical systems searching for a Prime or Hidden Mover. Then spice it up with later material.

        Fair enough, makes sense. I tend to reach for Kabbalism first mostly because I am a lot more familiar with the detail there. There do seem to be a lot of useful parallels there (obsession with the sacred nature of the alphabet, for example, and with hidden magical methods hidden in the text of the holy book).

	Cheers
		David