Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: David Cake <dave_at_5pM5nT2SwAlREhTOZYZLovuIZnwKvGn8wUS0FbmBD8W_MAXDokVc7UB99MZuPduhbh69bIB>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:10:23 +0800

On 09/12/2011, at 7:19 AM, metcalph_at_3w21WBk6k0WFAVxHxHlMb78a8e3bfvSEvfi1JugIRXrbffp6Hk__T3Pnj5FYnoW3_BHLioJgqROAP8_Kzs_iNCE8.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> On Fri 09/12/11 8:24 AM , David Cake dave_at_80xUNexKxkFTmy9KiGwzrHq-zZ7A8Cbyi13oKaMHeGDz4uqBIAecEUR7Dq4Re5ZvzULVTDQvR2gA0vTYzdmwvRA.yahoo.invalid sent:

>> On 07/12/2011, at 3:00 AM, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>>
>>> Gods that do not appear in the Orlanthi myths
>>> are not part of the Compromise.

>> Gods that are not part of Orlanthi myth are not enumerated by name, but the
>> Ritual of the Net is said to include all the deities, specifically
>> including foreign ones.

> Said by whom? The Orlanthi may say that the Gods that appear in the ritual of the net are the
> Gods of Glorantha but the foreign gods that appear are only the gods of their neighbours.

Not even sure that is strictly true. Is Magasta a neighbour? He is specifically named as being part of the return.

> Pamalt's not there. Nor is Zzabur.

	They aren't named as being there. That means nothing. Passing mention of deities like Magasta and Subere and Flamal who are part of neither Heortling nor Yelmic myth makes it clear the Orlanthi believe the Ritual of the Net included all deities, not just the Orlanthi or Yelmic ones who have larger roles in the story.
	You could make a case that neither Pamalt nor Zzabur are there on the basis that neither are strictly deities, I guess? Not just foreign, but from different otherworlds as well. But that is an entirely different argument anyway - the planetary manifestations of the Red Goddess are clearly part of Yelmic myth anyway.
	This doesn't mean the Orlanthi are right, of course. But I think if you asked an Orlanthi sage " Is <weird foreign deity> bound by the Great Compromise?" (say, Seshna or Basko} their answer would be something along the lines of "of course! All deities are."
	Cheers
		David