Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_g_lotDVVgqm-0oS6GotNJJmtb0Woo2NQkno346zxThwp3NJQmcWyAFBWNqQJNMXVPZM>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:54:02 +1300

On 12/9/2011 4:10 PM, David Cake wrote:
> On 09/12/2011, at 7:19 AM, metcalph_at_n_Jxiqj3gkNO-vIidLwiYnizRGbbz2PjXSSQqRD3ERr1TJlBQg9YmvqbYGzI5ysBDSmt6f47Obr2VaoN2iJKSi1hGrqShg.yahoo.invalid wrote:
>> Said by whom? The Orlanthi may say that the Gods that appear in the ritual of the net are the
>> Gods of Glorantha but the foreign gods that appear are only the gods of their neighbours.
> Not even sure that is strictly true. Is Magasta a neighbour? He is specifically named as being part of the return.

Worshipped by the Mirrorsea Ludoch.

>> Pamalt's not there. Nor is Zzabur.
>
> They aren't named as being there. That means nothing.

Given their cosmological importance (they are as big as Yelm), they should be expected to be seen there.

> Passing mention of deities like Magasta and Subere and Flamal who are part of neither Heortling nor Yelmic myth makes it clear the Orlanthi believe the Ritual of the Net included all deities, not just the Orlanthi or Yelmic ones who have larger roles in the story.
I said the "gods of their neighbours", not just Orlanthi and Yelmic deities. The Uz and the Aldryami are neighbours so their gods would be present. The Ludoch I've already pointed out. The Dara Happans are not initially which is why I earlier said that Yelm does not appear in the myth initially.

> But that is an entirely different argument anyway - the planetary manifestations of the Red Goddess are clearly part of Yelmic myth anyway.

Whether the Goddess is part of the Yelmic myth has little relevance to her appearance at the net. She is not there for the same reason that Genert is not there.

--Peter Metcalfe