Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: jorganos <joe_at_9OPw1nMvU_Yb2hxmMED90EKlPjaWnQ0SgAouSXlKBthUm2RYxGKvpJ-L5gkHm0yYDBq_buIB>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 14:59:08 -0000

"Jeff" <richaje_at_...> wrote:

>> To make it clear - I think the Orlanthi think that all (non-Chaotic) gods around at the Dawn were part of the Ritual of the Net, even if their own native mythology has no record of it. There are a bunch of good arguments for believing the Red Goddess was not part of the Ritual of the Net (such as her own mythology says she was elsewhere, the omens at Castle Blue, that she assumes her godhood within time, and so on), but none of them are in the Ritual of the Net myth itself, which says nothing either way.

> Again I agree. The reason the Red Goddess is not part of the Ritual of the Net is that she includes and uses Chaos. Very self-evident to all. The Lunars accept this and the Orlanthi fear it.

However, even chaos gods and spirits who may not have participated in the Ritual of the Net became part of the Compromise, such as Thed and Malia, if I recall correctly.

And there are acceptable (minor) deities who ascended within time - such as Yelmalio, Pavis or Sartar.

So, let's play advocatus diaboli within the Heortling perspective as to why Shepelkirt is breaking the Compromise.

Shepelkirt did something outrageous, invading and taking over the Middle Air above the Crater. That was one of the dangerous moments that stopped normal Time.

Ok, but if we look to the south, there is Belintar, who did similar things (raising Loon Island, destroying the Obsidian Palace and the Serpent).

Shepelkirt used bat Chaos (and the Crimson Bat is pretty bad). While certainly bad in a big way, does this consist of breaking the Compromise? Sometimes the Praxians summon Chaos and unleash it on their opponents. In the Hero Wars, either side might ally the Hydra or Hungry Jack.

Calling up the Black Eater in the Battle of Night and Day or the Night Dragon in Ezkankekkos final fight with Belintar doesn't summon Chaos, but each calls up an entity that has no place in the Middle World under the rules of the Compromise. Neither of those were chaotic, though.

(But then, the Scarlet Bat killed by Arkat wasn't chaotic early on, either... only Arkat's Curse may have pushed it into Chaos.)

Which of the two outrageous acts of the Goddess was it that broke the Compromise - bringing the Bat to the First Battle of Chaos, or raising the Red Moon (as a result of the Battle of Castle Blue) and creating the different realm of the Silver Shadow (the earliest manifestation of the Glowline)?