Re: Sources for Hero quests

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_Rth7a5Uz-CHG0AlJ2Zy8C_gUEc533SU_LMKKXQcrd_gs2GP9fnItZ3PYDnVGntRBFCD>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:17:36 -0500

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Zachary Kline <zkline_at_WZT263OjEFYO3M-84DoemJwWkKs2v096YVm0ATw6OZ7iVjJc46zznjxBZqFqfk-fTeA_jJ4mixUHxqNNQQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi ALl,
> As I prep for my Glorantha campaign I'm wondering what sources I can draw
> upon for heroquests? They seem rather an abstract concept, at least as
> described in the Sartar book. I've played the game King of Dragon Pass
> extensively, and know of the quests in there. How do people tend to handle
> this? I could invent myths, of course, but I was wondering if there were
> any other sources people recommend. Is the Book of Heortling Mythology
> worth a purchase?

I enjoyed Heortlng Mythology, but I suppose it would depend on how much free cash you have. I don't have advice for specific myths to use, but here's a few ideas about constructing the heroquest (obviously, your approach will vary):

  1. The quest doesn't play like an adventure; it plays like a story. "You travel through the woods," "you meet an old woman." If you tend to put a lot of description into your narration, try and make the Otherworld different -- simpler and brighter. Only the "main characters" are "in focus." If there is an enemy army, all the soldiers look alike, the river that has to be crossed is the idea of a river, and so on. It should be a bit like going from Kansas to Oz -- try to make it feel different from the regular "real world" adventures.
  2. Remember that, except for the critical stages, the quest may throw the questers some ringers. The hero has to pass a test to cross the river, but, while in the story it was a warrior who had to be defeated, in this quest the bridge might be a thin span that will break under the weight of someone who has been too unjust. Make the character defend his/her sketchy actions in the course of the game )remembering to define justice appropriately for their culture). This way you can set the players up for one challenge but make them think on their feet.
  3. I like the idea of the forces encountered on the quest being a reflection of the divine in shapes the characters are familiar with. So, when they approach Orlanth's hall, it looks sort of like the clan hall, only grander. Orlanth looks kind of like the King of the tribe or Chief of the clan, only better. The old lady to whom you had better be polite might be a reflection of a cranky old woman in the character's stead, and so on. You could save yourself some work and ask the players to take up the slack "The difficult guardian of the gate reminds you of someone -- who and why?" Their answers might give you some ideas of how to develop the encounter.
  4. You can use that technique for more than just characters. If the quest requires the hero facing fears, ask the players what their characters are most afraid of, then make use of it. What is their idea of kingship? Justice? What is the worst crime? and so on. This means that every quest will be richer and the players will come away with a better idea of what makes thier characters who they are,

Peter Larsen