Re: Spell-trading

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_MyewVupTl3xNp1oLayIKlq5sed2TBQpHk9Vqmc63glsOMTH5xToEP6VWzVSj4qI2whN>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:58:43 +1300

On 12/16/2011 4:49 AM, Chris Lemens wrote:
> What if we re-characterized what is going on. Start with the assumption that the Issaries worshipper is acting like Issaries. One of the things that Issaries did was travel far and wide, meet interesting people, and give mutual assistance.

Thinking about this, I think the equal exchange feat can be used for the following magical exchanges:

  1. Exchanging runes. Rather than to go to all that bother in learning a new rune, you could exchange a rune you didn't want with someone who had a rune you did want.
  2. Exchanging Talents. As above.
  3. Exchanging worshippers and temples. Remember the Goddess switch? The officiating Priest could perform a swap of worshippers like say some transplanted Orian Farmers who wanted to become Ernaldans whereas the Ernaldan Temple sends some important treasure to the Orian Temple as compensation.
  4. The switching of blessings (ie Lingering Benefits). This has the limitation that both worshippers must be acceptable to each other's deity.
  5. An exchange of divine aid/intervention. Instead of being watched over by your own god, you are now watched over by your partner's god. When necessary, you can call upon your partner's magic so long as you are acceptable to the other deity and have the appropriate rune. The exchange lasts until the next holy day or if the priest reverses the exchange.

Some of these exchanges are intrinsically more difficult than others but that can be handled by the needs of the story and so forth.

As far as I can see, magical exchanges are not just confined to Issaries alone but can be carried out by any trade priest (Lokarnos, Etyries and Argan Argar) or magician with access to the communication rune.

  --Peter Metcalfe