Re: Is Spell Trading the hallmark of a vampire squid?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_nQiL4nH_Uz4GBg7Rmaln3B6HsYA3VQPhsjg7_NBgoBykVJJ0p_6an0g-nPjJGfh_-8a>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 16:45:10 +1300

On 12/17/2011 10:16 AM, Keith wrote:
> I'd like to make the point that there should not really be enough
> vampires to have different "breeds" or "populations" in a region. So
> the Vampire in Elder wilds is The Vampire in the Elder wilds. The 2
> vampires in the Rubble are The two vampires in the Rubble. There is
> not IMO a population of 1000 vampires wandering around Sartar. I don't
> know how many there are but it is a low number. There may be a groups
> that shares an origin (eg the Dancers of Darkness) but still, my
> estimate woudl be for almost no vampires (eg. 2 or 3) in Sartar, apart
> from the Dancers (not sure how many there are)
I would draw a distinction between established vampires (dark lords) and feral vampires (crazed beasts that are killed by adventurers soon after awakening). The number of established vampires is low while feral vampire plagues crop up from time to time.

Another vampire is the Vampire of the Old Sun Dome Temple and possibly the Blind King which makes 3 or 4 established vampires per 20,000 people. Applied to Sartar gives around 30 vampires, one of whom is Brangbane. The Dancers of Darkness can be left out of the equation has they are used to sitting in the marshes for extended periods of time.

There's two (if one doesn't count the hopping vampire jokes) vampire traditions

Vivamort - the classic vampire tradition. Arose in Tanisor and spread throughout Genertela by the Gbaji Wars. Took a real hammering under the EWF by Yan Starcere. I think its current resurgence is because it was never eradicated in Peloria and it has spread with the Lunar Empire.

Nontraya - associated with Delecti and possibly Brangbane. More than just vampires as Brangbane is more like a ghoul. Received a major boost when Delecti joined up.

--Peter Metcalfe