Re: Unlife in French (was Unlife in Sartar)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_4usst-H6fLkc97RA-fltRE1kkPkh5NKKVaFGSGgHxj-h-WpQzwOKzn-ys4OH>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:26:53 +0000 (GMT)

I am guessing that part of the problem is having to say it in two words rather than one.
The concept of "without breath" is commendably Orlanthi, and it is a great shame that it doesn't sound as good in French (or English). But then if I remember correctly the film known as "Breathless" in English was  "Au bout de souffle" in (the original?) French, which means at the end of one's breath. Right for that film, but it doesn't sound right here either.
I wondered about Les maudits marchants (or les maudits ambulants?), by which I am trying to say, "the walking damned"?
Richard Hayes

To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, 20 December 2011, 19:54
Subject: Re: unlife in sartar

That's funny because I always thought that Vivamort was a French pun on "La vie et la mort"  - life and death.
/// Pun, or lucid parallel, or dark irony ?

That, and the burnt out Monkey Ruins (Ruin de Singe) were the only contributions of French punning to the world of Glorantha that I am aware of.
/// You got me there. What's the pun on "Ruines du Singe" ?

The northern tribe of ice hockey playing ducks has never been discovered as far as I know (Canarda).
/// The duck jokes are famous forever among french fans. "Ducks' favorite drink is COINtreau", because french ducks go "coin" instead of your "quack", and all that.

Just for the record, Sans Souffle doesn't sound scary in English, it sounds as if someone hasn't got their dessert.
/// That's because you don't pronounce it the french way. That last "e" is mute. "Sans Souffl". But even then it lacks in Fear. I need to find something better.

Yahoo! Groups Links