Re: Gloranthan Settlers of Catan

From: jorganos <joe_at_VJYzkTijT36rMueWOND5HHMfweNzqfRBwKxZ4lnUadId3p5NF1buhXMmxwdXfMlprKn-JBc7>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:23:56 -0000

Donald Oddy:

Me:
>> That's quite painless when the basic theme can translate into a Gloranthan theme. Which makes Settlers of Catan ideal for a Resettlement Era game. All that is missing is magic and cattle theft, and that's what I am trying to implement.

> Yes, you've chosen a good match there. The majority of existing games aren't so easy to match though.

True... although I really like what Keith pulled out of my challenge to produce a Gloranthan Britannia.

>> Looks like you're thinking big, rather than quickly playable and enjoyable.

> I'm thinking ultimately publishable. The biggest chunk of work is playtesting and tweaking so that the game works. That's similar whether it involves introducing a significant change to an existing game or designing something from scratch. In either case it can vary from a couple of games to a year or more's work.

In case of Settlers of Catan, there is a sizeable online community for the German language games alone, which is used to downloadable fan-publications. I suppose it is similar for the international communities, but I haven't yet caught up with all the German language publications, so I'll postpone raiding the international scene a bit.

>> Settlers of Catan has a similar fan publication policy as Glorantha, merging both should be no problem for a non-profit web publication.

> That's unusual for board games. More commonly fan publications are restricted to addons such as alternative maps and the policy isn't explicit. Web publication is also the only viable non-profit route as printing and component costs make budgeting for a profit essential.

Yes. But there is a sizeable community which could be fed Gloranthan themes, and possibly increase the tribe a bit.

> I'm not intending to be discouraging, just looking to get good Gloranthan games available to as many fans as possible.

It usually takes more than a few cautionary words to discourage me...

Cheers,

Joerg