Gloranthan Settlers of Catan

From: jorganos <joe_at_XhUAeH7oeMssMyqBU4mc7u2UZYjZxCzS8eMA2ubTJH3rUJmdTVFtpgNuZOgORtxhmrBqSii4>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:53:30 -0000

Greg Stafford:
>> Several years ago I played a great rendition of my old board games, but in the "modern" format. I loved it,

David Scott:
> What was the "modern format", it would be nice to see it/play it. (Why reinvent if it's already been done).

> It's going to stay an ugly duckling until everyone gets to see the swan:-)

The very least would be to make it available at conventions and test the waters. Producing semi-pro pdfs for DIY counters is not too hard nowadays.

> I still like the old games, although I wouldn't mind trying a settlers of Dragon Pass conversion... (I'm quite addicted to Catan and a new variant would be fun).

I will attempt to run a few test games at the next conventions (even though that means tagging along 6 extra kilograms of games, moving them up to the castle on foot...)

Peter Larsen:
>The burning question is whether it will encourage players to shout "I have wood for ducks!"

I'm afraid that any game I will work on has a design flaw there...

There may be beastfolk, possibly even ducks acting separately, but the only scenario where I can imagine something like that is post Kallyr's rebellion, when ducks were indeed treated as legal tender for purposes of paying Lunar taxes.

Donald Oddy:
> Many of the other suggestions for adapting Eurogames for Glorantha run into the problem of matching the mechanics to something that is significant in Glorantha.

That's quite painless when the basic theme can translate into a Gloranthan theme. Which makes Settlers of Catan ideal for a Resettlement Era game. All that is missing is magic and cattle theft, and that's what I am trying to implement.

My current concept for magic starts like this: There are rune priests of the five elements who get placed on the board like the knights from Cities and Knights. Each rune can draw magic in the shape of its rune from two types of terrain: Storm from Pasture and Mountains, Darkness from Mountains and Hills, Earth from Hills and Grain Fields, Fire from Grain Fields and Forest, Water from Forest and Pasture.

Magic can be used to research your temples' magic (just like in Cities and Knights), to increase cattle herds, to help attacking or defending, and to develop special buildings or units. Some actions require specific runes, or two or more of the same, others require several runes of different types.

> From what I've seen of the game design process it's better to work out what you want to do and then find the mechanics to achieve it. The result is also more likely to be publishable as it doesn't run into the same copyright issues.

Looks like you're thinking big, rather than quickly playable and enjoyable.

Settlers of Catan has a similar fan publication policy as Glorantha, merging both should be no problem for a non-profit web publication.