Re: Sources used for future publications

From: Lawrence Whitaker <lawrence.whitaker_at_mhqQS5KXTe6G-Dm4RBI6dLOKdHm9pXDKFEfKNDQpDVU7GU_PP7dJX1JGg3>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:05:09 -0500

One of the main issues with Mongoose's early Glorantha books was the fact that most of the writers just weren't familiar with Glorantha and badly misinterpreted much of the content of MSE. When I came onboard I worked very closely with Jeff, Greg and Rick to correct the position and this resulted in the likes of Dragonewts, Mostali and Dara Happa Stirs. All three of these titles directly referenced accepted canon and, in titles that followed, I spent perhaps 80% of the prep time reading and double checking canonical material (and sifting canon from non with Greg and Jeff's help).

With the second edition of Glorantha the Second Age, Cults of Glorantha and Abiding Book, MSE was referenced extensively and daft errors like Alakoring's birth were corrected. I'd like to think that the work I did on the Glorantha line for Mongoose came as close to canon as I could possibly get. Where something was ambiguous or mentioned in passing, I checked before expanding it to make sure that the subsequent material would fit with the current world-view.

Design Mechanism's license for Glorantha is very clear that anything we produce MUST be passed by Moon Design. As this is the way we always worked anyway, I'm confident that any RQ6 materials will fit into the canon as currently perceived and strived for.

There *were* some poor Mongoose books - but for some honest and understandable reasons. Hell, I was tasked with producing for them a Babylon 5 book (a series I know SFA about) and was royally, and rightly, vilified for the resulting mess. I can appreciate how some of the early Glorantha Mongoose writers would make similar mistakes given the sheer weight of material out there. However the Mongoose Glorantha stuff did improve and did so because Jeff, Greg and I made it work. We'll make future RQ Glorantha books work in the same way.

--
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next its rolling over me...

Rush - 'Far Cry'