Re: Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_FDFXKpOf_KUyiveU2yGfENZB4yxjy73np3d7tY907ApLOPWWbf8z7OfXAVsnNMpoJiN>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 00:52:11 +1200

On 5/4/2012 10:18 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Personally I think that Magic, relatively useless as it is, might still function as a sort of jack-of-all-trades affinity to help enact magic and connect with the Otherworlds. It may indeed be a sign of a great future magician, though it does seem like a strange thing to have.
The mark of a magic rune is communication between worlds. People with the magic runes are god-talkers, priests, spirit-talkers, shamans and adepts. They do not have a distinct magic rune ability IMO - their very status is the magic rune.

> Stasis, though, really doesn't seem like something an Orlanthi would normally get. I can see it in conjunction with one of the 15% cults. I wonder if it also helps one get along with dwarves. It certainly won't make you popular among your own people.

Stasis should better seen as the rune of the unchanging sky (Yelm and Polaris) or stone rather than an abstract principle. The best known Orlanthi deity with stasis is Molanni. Since she's primarily an enemy deity, I imagine she is used as a mask for Pelorian air cults (such as Entekos) in much the same way as Jagrekriand is a mask for Shargash and so on.

--Peter Metcalfe