Re: The same good ol' question : what is Chaos ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_zXLzzcM3zU6GzHZI2peeAtOjZDab9PRfcLx6P4cgKzmzh2ktWnFrZbOXCHV-SzvzTmv>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:27:36 +1200

On 8/19/2012 9:14 PM, hcarteau_at_uORq6xWM3uJNRoL4rlY8PBdt5hYfj7jFNZ57h7nUdba0_eNay-YwvT-S2n6o6Zi9ZJKxhGRtQm2jag.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Other good point : chaos is as bad as elves or vadeli (who use chaotic powers), and there are spells to fight it as there are spells to fight elves and vadeli.

I'm not sure where the idea of Elves are as bad as chaos comes from. There are four elf forests adjacent to the lands of Loskalm and Seshnela yet the number of times the westerners have tried to wipe them out is pretty much close to zero. That wouldn't happen if the Westerners considered the Aldryami as bad as chaos. Likewise Cults of Terror does not state that the Westerners called the Elfs Krjalki - they only used that word to describe the Uz and Dragonewts.

AFAIK Westerners see Elves (and Dwarves) as different - not humans but not monstrous either.

> It's not worse, it's not the all-surpassing horror orlanthi are so focussed on. But these smelly, loudmouthing barbarians live very close to horror spots like foulblood forest or snakepipe hollow, so it's understandable they focus on it. There are no chaos nests in the West - the Gate of Bannir isn't one. Or is it?

The swamp of Dilis. The Borists of Ralios. The Guild of Chaos Monks. I'm aware of a couple of other examples but they haven't been described in print.

--Peter Metcalfe