Re: A question about Wizardry

From: L C <lightcastle_at_KloyeZlUcar48Ow3hPy1bJ4ApXY4R5sj0Ykzd6QGNd8sj1hUzMx_ulqLBMiXJOf9>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:46:26 -0400

I can't remember if the basic 10% -> 30% -> 50% standard for magic-use devotion from HQ1 was kept or not in HQ2, but back then an Initiate in Theism was supposed to be the equivalent of a Wizard in Wizardry. (Both 30%) There was no Wizardry equivalent to a Devotee. (I think the term Archmage was thrown about, but never materialized.)

Personally, since I never heard an explanation for the three-world system that made it seem necessary or important, and it mostly just got in the way of making magic interesting between cultures, I just scrapped the whole HQ magic system and made my own. One of the advantages of HQ is that this is easy to do, and everything works better if you get rid of weird number-based rules like "must have this rating to do X".

This way each culture has its own magic and style, most people had a mix of different styles of magic as seemed more appropriate, a religion had its base magic, every initiate wasn't a wizard, etc.