Re: Historical population of Genertela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:38:31 +1300

On 12/28/2012 4:08 AM, jorganos wrote:

> The EWF had special draconic husbandry and grain that apparently enabled rapid population growth in Dragon Pass, but depended on the dragons' dreams to continue. Even in areas where the dragons had been evicted by the Pelorians, I suppose the effects of the population growth, even taking into account war losses, may have lasted.

I'm not so sure that Velt and Kreet caused massive population growth. WF #15 p72 gives many cities of Dragon Pass as have been around since the Battle of Night and Day whereas the EWF didn't come to power until 775 ST some four centuries later. The crops may have had additional advantages like not being susceptible to drought and famine and attune the populace into thinking draconically but I doubt that it significantly raised the total population.

Secondly the crops could only be grown within Kerofinela and weren't exported. There's little scope for huge population increases in Peloria and Kethaela.

> In God Learner influenced territory, a similar effect was reported using additional grain goddess magics - except where these failed (spectacularly).

I'm unaware of this reported similar effect. The Goddess Switch wasn't about improving crop yields but trying to contact the Goddess Glorantha (Wyrms Footprints p37).

--Peter Metcalfe