Re: Historical population of Genertela

From: illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:50:44 -0000

I tried to understand Peter's theory objectively....

> On 12/28/2012 12:12 AM, illuminate33 wrote:
>
> The Clearwine Fyrd can muster 500 warriors quickly (Sartar Companion
> p32) out of a total tribal population of 15,500. Out of the Fyrd, only
> a hundred are described as being Thanes and Bodyguards which would be my
> guess for what any Orlanthi tribe could afford to send far beyond their
> borders. Applying these numbers to the Heortling troop numbers at the
> battle of Night and Day I get

Then 3 % is the Fyrd of Orlanthi population, but only 0.6 % is the full time warriors and can be sent in the expeditionary army.

> Orgovaltes: 46,500 people (up from 8000 circa 125 ST). The current
> population of Sartar in roughly the same area is 100,000.

> Koroltes: 46,500 people (up from 7000 circa 125 ST)

Both Orgovaltes and Koroltes warriors numbered 300 in Battle of Night and Day, then Peter calculated that its tribal Fyrd is 1,500, and its total population is around 50,000.

> Total Heortlings: 155,000 (up from 55,000 circa 125 ST).
>
> The total Heortling numbers are skewed because many of the northern
> tribes have already been defeated.

Then the total just before the breaking of the council and the start of Theyalan Wars, I suppose the total population of the Heortlingland is 300,000`400,000

> For Dara Happa (Khordavu period), a bygone monograph (History of the
> Dara Happan Army) estimates that Dara Happa had a total population of
> 200,000 and could put up 10,000 men in the ten stonewall phalanxes
> whereas other enemy alliances could put up only half that at best.

Peter estimated 5 % of the total of the population can be counted as full time warriors in Dara Happa.

> Even assuming that Dara Happa was sending only its best troops a long
> way to the Battle of Night and Day some 150 years later, I get the
> impression the Dara Happa sent an undersized contingent for political
> reasons and that it could send double or three times that number if it
> really wanted to. So my population estimates are circa the Battle of
> Night and Day are:
>
> Dara Happa: 800,000 (currently 1,400,000)

The army of Dara Happa in the Battle is 1,500, Peter judged total full number of the Dara Happan fulltime army was 4,000 with Greg's footnotes about Dara Happan army in the battle, then total population is 800,000 because Peter assumes that it is 5 % of total population.

> The next set of numbers we have are the troop numbers for the Dragonkill.
>
> Peloria (Dara Happa, Carmania and Saird): 70,000. The Lunar Empire
> currently has 25,500 (WF#15 p52) out of a total number of 78,000 troops
> (Guide to Glorantha p220). Because of this, I assume the populations
> are pretty much the same size as they are now.

If I understand correctly what Peter wrote... Peter assumes that the full time warriors were all completely sent to Kerofinela during the campaign of True Golden Horde.... In my humble opinion, it might include some exaggeration of historians, but Peter assumes that it is true.

Current human population of the Lunar Empire is 8,430,000... and its 0.92 % is the size of troop. Guide to Glorantha Draft says that it is official. And Peter applied same 0.9 % to the three Pelorian kingdoms during the Dragonkill.

TI