PLACES: Number of stead buildings

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_0cZmRIL74xbVMUUJfYmZwjRiUuLOT7YldtOVerzUaklJ7INFvA4vV1UXfrUxur18vd>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:47:31 -0500

Hey folks,

The example from p. 18 of THUNDER REBELS tells us a typical stead has: "one large longhouse, ten smaller residences nearby, and another ten farther out. It has the normal complement of other buildings, including five large cattle barns, other animal and food storage buildings, a mill, and a sacred Loom House." Extrapolating from this, our stead would have a longhouse, six nearby residences, another six farther out, three cattle barns, and assorted other small buildings. The nearness of the river (which would likely be more a brook or creek... a small stream of some sort) suggests that our stead *does* have a mill. The Loom House is necessary in my opinion.

Any further thoughts?

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_iB31-leCV1p3hAqOWwP4BcnnqQmPCNPUkwflMMOvlT9qIdYKZzzcxV5e3YN543U-_bPGKmWizDIOh2DXWfahztVmkA.yahoo.invalid | and words, its slides and