Re: PLACES: Number of stead buildings

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_EU9rL7_8BARuXDaADyEywW1xCjWFI2-oivPgM1Fu_pIHV_y36YSaEqBrdseIoh47WorM>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:54:19 -0800

Michael:

> The example from p. 18 of THUNDER REBELS tells us a typical stead has:
> "one large longhouse, ten smaller residences nearby, and another ten
> farther out. It has the normal complement of other buildings, including
> five large cattle barns, other animal and food storage buildings, a mill,
> and a sacred Loom House."

I didn't see these figures before publication, and if I had I would have jumped up and down and shouted very very loud. Charitably, let's say they represent one extreme. 21 dwellings for around 30 married couples does not equate with anything like the large, communal, extended family hearths described in detail in the text. Frankly, its a DnDism, and is more typical of our own kinless sub-nuclear families than the communal Orlanthi, where the bloodline *is* the family, where your average longhouse is between 60 and 100 feet long and "where extended families spanning four or five generations share a common hearth".

>Extrapolating from this, our stead would have a
> longhouse, six nearby residences, another six farther out, three cattle
> barns, and assorted other small buildings. The nearness of the river
> (which would likely be more a brook or creek... a small stream of some
> sort) suggests that our stead *does* have a mill. The Loom House is
> necessary in my opinion.

My suggestion would be to cut down the number of dwellings to three or four major ones (One for each represented bloodline, varying in size to suit, one for guests such as the hero band) and a few further out for herders, charcoal burners, upland herdsfolk etc.

John