Re: Kultainland

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:02:54 +0000 (GMT)

Kultaniland

Hi Douglas,

>>Do Chaosium era sources count, or just the Issaries
>>stuff? I have seen a hex map of sartar that >>says
"Dragon Pass" on it that does not jive with >>the DP:LoT intpretation.

I have not seen an 'official' DP map that has the tribes in it before Barbarian Adventures. (The one from the boardgame did not - and some aspects of Wilm's geography like the Kerospine is a little off with what we know now). What product did it appear in?

There are many unofficial maps. Many contain errors/misunderstandings/misinterpretations (tribal areas in Dragonewt lands and Dwarf run, the Balmyr in what is Colymar territory etc.) Hopefully DP has made some of those clear.

>#10 ... is not consistent with the view of Boldhome
>(p45) which has the Balmyri bordering the Quivini
>mountains (ie - north of Wilsmkirk).

I had not seen that map and was using Barbarian Adventures as the authoratitive Hero Wars era source. The map on p.45 can be rationlised as pointing in the Balmyr's direction. Yes it is an inconsistency, but I would not priveldge that map as evidence that DP is somehow wrong.

>I'm not saying that it doesn't work, or cannot work,
>just that the sources are at best an Orlanthi all.
Remember YGMV. Other intepretations are possible. We just went with what has been established in earlier Hero Wars supplements.

>I'm looking for GAG if at all possible. If I redo
>my map, then I'll want to get it right.
I think YGMV is a better principle than GAG. GAG seeks to priviledge certain interpretations; YGMV seeks to welcome them all. But that's personal taste.

>Maybe I'm being dense, but there is nothing in the
>paragraph that states that Halfort was Balmyri
>before 1619, just the mines.

By the letter of the text, sure. But I wanted to be clear that I did not suggest the idea. I think the idea that of a Kultain fort protecting a Balmyr salt mine too stretched. Of course YGMV.

>Fair enough, but I'm specifically interested in
1612->1619, so that doesn't apply. I'm not sure which
>year is canonical for DP, but clearly
>it is after the Kultain tribe was disbanded.

As stated in the intro we list the descriptions as accurate for 1621 just before OiD. We expected the SR campaigns in play to change what is represented enough to make it hard to be post that. I think there are one or two entries that break that timeline to indicate specific instances of what happened after.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html