New life in Hell

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:45:07 -0800

Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de> wrote:

> An excellent point. I wonder whether the trolls really ever lost
> fertility, or whether they gained a lesser version of fertility on
> their flight from the Underworld. As a rule, only the Middle World
> generates new life...

...although (unless I'm mistaken) Trolls believe the source of all life is, in fact, the Underworld. There's a myth-fragment in Trollpack describing the gestation of... either Aether or Yelm (don't have the books with me). Before he was born, he "lay in Darkness"--and lying in Darkness meant he was in Hell. (The myth describes three Dark gods, Argan Argar, Xiola Umbar, and Zorak Zoran, coming across the unborn Light.)

It seems to me that this means that (from the troll POV, anyway), all new life begins in Hell, though it may come to fruition elsewhere.