Re: Heortling initiation

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 21:15:03 +0100 (BST)

Donald R. Oddy:

> Ernalda isn't the only source of fertility in Glorantha, and not
> all women want it. After all:
>
> Chalana Arroy - if they're called before initiating to Ernalda
> they're probably so dedicated to healing that they don't want
> children. Nothing to stop them initiating into Ernalda later if
> they change their mind but it does add to the Heortling view that
> Chalana Arroy healers are a bit strange.

I don't follow this. Do you mean that women not initiated into Ernalda would not have children? I can't see that Chalana Arroy initiates wold not want children because they are dedicated to healing. Most similar restrictions follow because the goddess was herself chaste or had no children. Chalana Arroy has at least one son, Arroin, and was a pretty dedicated healer herself.

> Ana Gor - goddess of death, so probably infertile.
>
> Babeester Gor - we know are infertile.

Are they? I didn't realise.

> Maran Gor - more Tarsh than Heortling, appears to have some link
> with fertility there.

Really? My impression was that Maran Gor was even harsher and more infertile than Babeester Gor. She turned her back on her fertility, traded it away for death abilites and never took a mate. Babeester Gor, however, was born to kill yet has taken mates and is no virgin goddess. Now, virginity does not necessarily equate to infertility, but Maran Gor seems drier and less fertile than Babeester Gor.

> Redalda - often a subcult of Ernalda.
>
> Kero Fin - a mother goddess.
>
> Vinga - are required to initiate to Ernalda.

What about Asrelia, Ty Kora Tek and Voria? They are the other part of the classic six-fold Earth Goddesses. Asrealia is as fertile as they come, as is Voria, even though she is a virgin. Ty Kora Tek is goddess of the Underworld, but I can't remember if she is actually barren. Are they all subcults or Ernalda? I can't remember in HW/HQ.

See Ya

Simon

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html