Re: Gorp! The Musical

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 21:22:18 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs:
> Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>:
>
> > When I think of the ideal gorp, I am immediately reminded of
> >Plato's Ideal Forms. The notion that there is an Ideal Form of
> >Gorp out there is an interesting, and somewhat alarming one.
>
> While I would completely agree that plato's Ideal Forms can be
> very real in Glorantha, the idea that any chaos thing can represent
> an Ideal anything seems contradictory. Surely one of the defining
> caracteristics of Chaos is it's negation of uniformity, conformance
> or identification with any kind of ideal.

Surely, the chaos thingy is an imperfect version of the Platonic Ideal Gorp. One of the properties of the Ideal Gorp is that it is chaotic and changeable, so the lesser versions would be similar, having a certain gorpness, but would also be different, reflecting their inbuilt chaoticness.

The beauty of the Platonic Ideal Forms is that they can be made to represent absolutely anything, given the right definitions. So, I can see no reason why there cannot be Ideal Vampires, Ideal Gorps, Ideal Broos, Ideal Scoprionmen or Ideal Forms of any Chaos creature.

> Must... resist... longwinded... metaphysical... digression.....

Oops, I must have failed my resistance roll.

See Ya

Simon (Let's hope we don't get 3 Simons, 2 Charles and a partidge in a pear tree this time ...)

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html