Re: Heortling initiation

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:45:54 +0100 (BST)

Donald:
> >> Maran Gor - more Tarsh than Heortling, appears to have some link
> >> with fertility there.
> >
> >Really? My impression was that Maran Gor was even harsher and more
> infertile
> >than Babeester Gor. She turned her back on her fertility, traded it away
> for
> >death abilites and never took a mate. Babeester Gor, however, was born to
> >kill yet has taken mates and is no virgin goddess. Now, virginity does not
> >necessarily equate to infertility, but Maran Gor seems drier and less
> fertile
> >than Babeester Gor.
>
> According to ST Babeester Gor worshippers never love, have sex or become
> pregnant whereas Maran Gor has no such prohibition. All the Gor sisters
> are associated with death rather than life but in some cases that's
> modified by new life coming from blood sacrifice.

Ah, is this one of the changes for new Glorantha? The writeup of the Earth Goddesses in Wyrms Footnotes/Wyrms Footprints says that Maran Gor traded her mating for death and Babeester Gor is no virgin and has husbands and lovers, with chidren as well (Wyrms Footprints p 52). It would be a shame if this as changed.

See Ya

Simon

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html