Re: Jar-eel's heart

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

Peter, responding to me:
> >I think there's a play here on the word "heart".
> >Harrek ripped her heart out, but Annstad won it.
> >Surely that's intended?
>
> Then what is the meaning of Harrek's lost foot
> and massive scars?

That he should have had better health insurance?

I can't think of anything -- sometimes a wound is just a wound.

If Jar-eel survives having her heart torn out (as she must in some sense, because she shows up at Dwernapple or whenever it was that she and Annstad met), then in the interim, she's "heartless", which is a further interesting play on events. I have always seen Jar-eel as being very popular among Lunars, doing good deeds, being widely loved, etc. Maybe one reason we don't hear much about her between the two events (apart from any physical effects of not having a heart . . . ) is that she becomes unreliable because she has lost her sensitivity to others and is unable to appeal to them as she did before. Maybe she's sent out to handle some delicate matter and totally bungles it, pissing off whoever she was supposed to handle.

BTW, I don't think this is required by the canon; it is just YGMV fodder.

Chris Lemens