Re: Big

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:58:24 EDT

Merlin forwarded me the following from one of the digests e-groups neglected to send me:

<< Thanks for these. The Large numbers are lower than I expected: they seem
to mean that a notably big starting PC (Hefty 13) is almost as large as a gorilla, and (if the sample resistances in the rulebook haven't changed) a clan strongman could lift an elephant.>>

     Is there some reason to suppose a clan strongman *couldn't* lift an elephant? I'd have thought he could, myself. As easily as a person of typical strength could lift a person of typical mass, any way. He's hardly within a normal human range of ability, after all.

<< If 1-20 is the non-expert human scale, a troll or a man-and-a-half of SIZ
20 should be into the W1 range, I'd have thought. >>

     I think the size of the troll was about the first thing we agreed on when we did this scale, actually. Large isn't a normal stat for heroes (unless they're Gonn Orta), although they may have Hefty or whatever, which might be used in a slightly different way. Remember, I needed to be able to describe dark trolls, sperm whales and 5-km long true dragons, all on the same scale...

Trotsky