Re: Guidelines for _using and improving_ Abilities.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:41:00 -0000

Bryan wrote:

> I would suggest that "broad" skills are inherently somewhat
> penalized by the fact that seldom can they be improved without
> double cost. Combine this with hefty improvisation penalties and
> narrator nudging to have a mix of narrow and broad skills, and I
> think that there is no great unbalance. Not that broad skills
> won't be more useful most of the time than narrow skills, just it
> should keep all but the most dedicated mini-maxing from abusing
> them.

Elegant, simple, doesn't require changing the mechanics... Bravo!

If the new book had guidance like this (rather than rules hacks), I'd be delighted. As Robin has said in the past (to paraphrase): people who worry about this kind of thing will be happy extrapolating house rules from the guidelines; people who don't, aren't a problem.

Cheers, Nick