Re: What use is a wyter?

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:50:38 -0000

Depends on what you want to do with it. The question is pretty open ended. What does the wyter do? Our wyter lends AP to us, it blinds and confuses foes (more or less), it lets us use hit-and-fade tactics when we're raiding, its magics often resist those of sorcerers whether we even know we're being attacked (we're pitted in a ritual death struggle with a bunch of annoying Carmanians) particularly those cast on the community as a whole

> > "...but they aways attack from the North? What happened!?!! Why
> > weren't we warned?"
> > "Black oaks always come from the East."
> > "Sigh. Marvos, the Wyter's broke again!"
>
> OK, so the episode involves a sneak attack by the Black Oaks. Either
> the wyter detects the Black Oaks are coming (the episode begins 'The
> Black Oaks are coming, summon the fyrd!') or doesn't (the episode
> begins 'Grab your weapons, the Black Oaks are here!'). Either way,
> this is outside the control of the players and is just plot
> background for the episode. That is, the wyter's detection ability
> has no game mechanical effect in this situation.

Once the wyter is brought TO the scene, it can augment the fighters (to use your raiding example). But until it arrives, it can't do so. Perhaps the enemy wyter is making things very rough.

Its sort of hard to suggest what a wyter can do for you as it depends on just what the wyter _does_... which _is_ game specific.

Our wyter has a 'hide valley' ability which makes it very difficult to find the shivering remainder of our clan in the Hidden Valley. But if it decides that we're not hidden, folks can find us a lot more readily.... it likes to take in refugees whether we like it or not.

> Imagine our heroes have just begun an extended contest (for some
> reason, in some situation). What ability tests might occur that used
> the wyter's ability ratings?

Well, for one thing - you can't perform Extraordinary support without some sort of wyter (according to the guardian being and wyter rules).

Jeff