Snekaing onto the tula (was Re: What use is a wyter?)

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:43:40 -0000

Jeff wrote:

>What does the wyter do? Our wyter lends AP to us, it blinds
and confuses foes (more or less), it lets us use hit-and-fade tactics when we're raiding...

And (though Benedict may have forgotten) we use our heroband wyter this way (though its ownership by an NPC has meant it has faded out of the limelight a bit - soon to be reloved).

However, I suspect Benedict's question was more along the lines of: Is anybody rolling for the clan wyter to detect the heroes when they cross into the enemy tula or just assuming that the wyter succeeds in spotting them and warns the clan (though like all divine entities its information is sufficiently vague to mean you have to look). The original discusion on the Hero Wars list related to the ability behind the truth detection in the Greeting (Frx Orlanth would be 10W9 the wyter only 10W3)

My opinion is this. The wyter has an awareness of 10W3. Unless you have a specific 'sneak' magic then your resitance is probably 14. I can't be arsed to roll that, you'll loose (the best you can hope for is critical vs critical which means I decide and that is what I am doing anyway). IIRC concealment magic is a difficult task, so I might give the wyter a bonus if you have some to use. Your Raiding affinity might be OK, but unless you know the secret I'll penalize you for covering all of your band with it as multiple targets. Leave anybody out of the magic and your back to square one. If you can reduce the wyters advantage to 2 masteries we may have a contest on our hands and I would be inclined to let you try for it. Finovani who know their gods secret and have Raiding 10W3 might sneak onto the tula without you noticing, but that is how it should be ;-)

The point is that some abilites are so high that at beginning game levels they are narrative effects, later when you become heroic they have numbers attached, because you are exceptional and can defeat them.

Of course less powerful wyters have lower abilities and more chance to sneak past them.

Ian Cooper