Snekaing onto the tula (was Re: What use is a wyter?)

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:26:45 -0000

> And (though Benedict may have forgotten) we use our heroband wyter
> this way (though its ownership by an NPC has meant it has faded out
> of the limelight a bit - soon to be reloved).
>
> However, I suspect Benedict's question was more along the lines of:
> Is anybody rolling for the clan wyter to detect the heroes when they
> cross into the enemy tula or just assuming that the wyter succeeds
in
> spotting them and warns the clan (though like all divine entities
its
> information is sufficiently vague to mean you have to look). The
> original discusion on the Hero Wars list related to the ability
> behind the truth detection in the Greeting (Frx Orlanth would be
10W9
> the wyter only 10W3)

The problem with divination is that the difficulty of getting the contact - those divination numbers are pretty harsh.

> My opinion is this. The wyter has an awareness of 10W3. Unless you

That high? Wow. Remember, the wyter is spread out over the whole tula but it can't see even a smidgen beyond it without some sort of special dispensation (fyrd battlestandard, special ritual).

Its not an instantanious thing. Depending on the wyter, it might take it some time to 'notice' - and localizing it might be even more difficult.

As to who rolls, I'd have the player most associated with the wyter do it - IF you want to make it an active part of your game. Ifn ot, I'd just armwave it in the background.

*bark!*
What's that Lassie?
*bark*
Black Oaks are coming over the north ridge? *bark*
Er, I didn't quite catch that
*chomp*
Okay, okay! We sacrifice TWO cows next time.

> have a specific 'sneak' magic then your resitance is probably 14. I
> can't be arsed to roll that, you'll loose (the best you can hope for
> is critical vs critical which means I decide and that is what I am
> doing anyway). IIRC concealment magic is a difficult task, so I
might

Sure. The wyter might know. But it can only talk to the chief. And he's back at his hall. And, of course, some raiding bands (if you're a raiding band you probably DO have concealment magic) have pretty good sneaky magic. Finovani have it as a matter of course - afterall what good is a 'Raid' affinity if it doesn't help you raid?

And, if you run in and out, there's not a lot of time to react.

> give the wyter a bonus if you have some to use. Your Raiding
affinity
> might be OK, but unless you know the secret I'll penalize you for
> covering all of your band with it as multiple targets. Leave anybody
> out of the magic and your back to square one. If you can reduce the
> wyters advantage to 2 masteries we may have a contest on our hands
> and I would be inclined to let you try for it. Finovani who know
> their gods secret and have Raiding 10W3 might sneak onto the tula
> without you noticing, but that is how it should be ;-)

Maybe. Most raiders can work a ceremony before going - that's why they are in bands. I tend to think that in ritual magic, the community (raiding band in this case) makes a single target. But that's just me.

> The point is that some abilites are so high that at beginning game
> levels they are narrative effects, later when you become heroic they
> have numbers attached, because you are exceptional and can defeat
> them.

Good point.

> Of course less powerful wyters have lower abilities and more chance
> to sneak past them.
>
> Ian Cooper

Yes, most wyter are much less powerful and may not have such a _precise_ awareness function. Remember, the awareness value is improvised (eg, if they are not Dara Happan Foes in our previous example) there's going to be a pretty bad improv penalty.

Hope this helps,

Jeff