Re: Truestone

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:25:01 -0000

> One point I would make is that its possible that different belief
> systems or groups have different knowledge and know of different
uses
> for Truestone, depending on their perception of what Truestone is.
Do
> all cultures have the same story for the origin of Truestone? I
doubt
> it.

I don't think there can be much doubt that Truestone comes from the Block. Have there been any alternative stories/myths as to the origin of the Block?

> knowledge seem appropriate fitting with earlier conceptions that
> Truestone is capable of storing knowledge. That storage would be
> perfect, without loss, error in transmission or noise. Presumably
> handling the Truestone enables access to this perfect knowledge,
but
> you cannot 'learn' what it gives as any memorizing of its knowledge
> will be subject to the imperfection and deterioration of human,
post-
> fall knowledge.

Yup, that sounds right. But relies on the stone retaining what is in it once it's been used (or else the knowledge is gone as soon as you access it), something it did NOT do with magic in RQ. Presumably, also, Truestone can only record what's forced into it (or what it drags in?), otherwise Blank Truestone would be impossible.

> I have not really thought about other cultures interpretations and
> uses. The Storm Bull animist tradition however might be able to
> unleash powerful chaos trapping powers in such fragments, mirroring
> the block.

Now there's a nice thought... my animist has a blank bit...

Wulf