Re: Sudden Death extended contests

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:57:39 -0500

Wulf Corbett wrote:

>Your idea follows more from the 7AP style.

The mechanic I proposed would merge the existing "optional penalty at 7 AP loss" and "wound at 15 AP loss", make the penalty automatic like the Grevious Wound and tweak the numbers so they are more intuitive for those not as math-inclined. Instead of an optional penalty at 7 AP loss and an automatic one at 15 AP loss, I propose an automatic penalty at 10 AP loss and no optional one (no one uses it). The 10 AP threshold is just easier to remember.

>You want to introduce a new mechanic to CAUSE
>wounds/penalties/whatever, you want to have a
>10 AP loan able to CURE them?

Actually, it would act more like an Augment, but using the lender's Healing affinity or such to "correct" the penalty. If heroes can lend AP using their abilities, why prevent them from erasing a penalty with them as well?

>Would you, indeed, allow the standard 7AP trade-
>in and Grievous Wounds [at 15 AP]?

Since neither would exist under my proposed rules (see above),

>Would gaining 10 AP from a Critical Contest
>result cure you?

No. A penalty can only be removed by the conscious action of someone. You can take unrelated actions in order to use an appropriate ability to remove penalties from yourself, or someone else can support you with an appropriate ability of their own.

>Since these penalties are caused by specific
>events, do you have to track every one indiv-
>idually to find a AP loaning Ability that will
>'cure' them?

This applies foremost in the course of an Extended Contest; it can be glossed over in post-contest, as penalties tend to vanish shortly therafter anyway. Part of the Narrator's job is to keep track of these things, really, as they are story elements. It can be useful to note on your tally sheet "Turn 2: -10 AP/-1 loss of faith", but it is not completely necessary.

>Can you 'heal' a loss of resolve with a Healing
>Spirit's AP?

If you, as Narrator, think that a healing spirit should be able to contribute to the mental well-being of a person, yes. I would think a passion spirit would be more appropriate, one which counters fear. Doubt is, after all, fear of failure.

>Sound to me like you're just introducing a new
>mechanic that does just what the old one always
>did, but with different numbers and more work
>to apply it.

Incorrect. I am streamlining an existing mechanic (penalties at various levels of AP loss) and extrapolating a new aspect to a second existing one (using abilities to support a hero other than one's own). Is *that* any clearer? :)

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and