Re: HeroQuest on Gor

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:49:29 -0000

> 1. Gor is NOT a magical place. This means that about half the rules
> are thrown out. Characters can have Skills, Abilities,
> Relationships, Flaws, and Followers as long as they are not magical
> in nature. But, is this enough? Do you think that the HeroQuest
> system, stripped of Magical Abilities, Spells, Feats, Magical Items,
> Cults, ect. is robust enough for play?

Don't see why not.

> 2. Goream Keywords. Looking over the list of Occupational Keywords
> it seems they could easily be ported right over to Gor. A Cavalry
> Soldier is a Cavalry Soldier. But Homeland Keywords might cause a
> problem. As I'm sure you know central Gor is composed of sime fifty
> enemy city-states as well as nomadic tribes to the south, viking-
> like barbarians to the north, etc. Since each city-state shares the
> same basic culture, should one Homeland Keyword cover all of the
> central cities of Gor, or maybe each city (Ar, Port Kar, Cos, Ko-Ro-
> Ba, etc.) have its own Homeland Keyword? It could go either way.

The idea of a (cultural) keyword is that it is shorthand for "everything someone from <culture> would know" - so a Port Kqar cultural keyword would include skills like "Port Ka Customs" and/or "Port Ka politics" even if these skills are not explicitly written down on the character sheets - so I'd go with a keyword for each City-state, even if most of the "core skills" are common to each one.

> 3. Caste Keywords? Are there any exapmles of Caste Keywords or would
> these be subsumed under Occupational Keywords?

Unless an occupation cuts across castes, you can treat them as part of the Occupational Keyword, I would have thought

> 4. Common Magic Keywords = "Heroic Feats" Yes I am getting a little
> confusing with the terminology, bear with me for a second. I was
> thinking as a solution to the issue number 1 above, I could allow
> players to choose from a list of what I call "Heroic Feats" that act
> just like common magic keywords (they could only act as augments)
> but call them "Heroic Feats" giving characters a little more depth.

Sounds a reasonable approach to me.