RE: Re: First Draft: Currency based Resolution

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:55:19 -0600

>From: bryan thomas <nagilfar_at_...>
>
>Mike, as a novice, I am trying to keep up with all these fine points, but I
>can't. Have you worked your system our enough at this point that you can
>provide me/us with a summary/overview of it, with a few examples.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this. First, I'll repost the system (I've touched it up a little since I first posted it) and then I'll give a couple of examples.

**Currency Based HQ Resolution v0.2**

These rules are an optional set to replace all current resolution in HQ. When a contest is declared, the GM works with the players to decide if it's going to be resolved in simple contest, or an extended contest.

*Simple Contests*
Per usual, Abilities are chosen for each side. In a simple contest, the side instigating the contest makes a bid of Result Points (RP), that can be as high as their Ability at most. The level selected should reflect the action taken per the normal rules for bids in extended contests, and a consideration of what the outcome will be. The GM should watch out for bids that are too low for dangerous actions, as such bids can fail to produce appropriately deleterious effects in terms of Flaws that may be produced. Roll, determine victory level as usual, and use the Contest Result Chart below to see what the result is in terms of RPs that are applied to the loser. See Conflict Results for effects.

*Contest Result Chart*

Result------------------RPs gained
Marginal Victory-----x1/2 (round up)
Minor Victory---------x1

Major Victory---------x2
Total Victory----------x3

*Extended Contests*
An extended contest is simply a back and forth exchange of Simple Contests, in which RP totals can accumulate from round to round. At the beginning of the conflict a Primary Ability has to be chosen for that conflict for each participant, but on any round the attacker can employ whatever Ability they like.

Conflict Results
There are two effects of winning a contest. First, the winner of the conflict gains his goal to some extent. Second, the RP total of the loser in a contest becomes a Flaw for the loser, or points in a new Ability for the winner, or some combination of the two. These new Abilities should represent the goal attained or a related effect in some fashion. Thus, if the goal was to pick a lock, then the character could receive a bonus to pick similar locks in the future.

The total points that can be gained normally in an Ability is equal to the Resistance for a simple contest, or the primary ability of loser in an extended contest. Hence harder tasks have greater potential rewards, and greater potential repercussions for failure. Excess points are divided by two (round up), and added to the total to a maximum of fifteen bonus points. So the maximum reward is the Resistance plus fifteen. Any result which would exceed this maximum (Resistance +30 points inflicted) can instead be used to create a permanent effect in the opponent similar to the Dying result, and results like it, instead of a flaw. In this case, no Ability per se is created.

Per usual, Abilities created in play are ephemeral unless cemented, and will fade in the appropriate fashion. If cemented, the GM determines the cost and the rating at which the Ability is cemented. Often this will be one HP for a 13 rating, but it can be free if the GM thinks that it counts as a flaw, and he may allow the Ability to be cemented at a higher level for greater HP expenditure (see the costs for cementing fetishes for ideas).

Examples:
Simple Contest
A character decides to jump a chasm with a raging river below. The GM says that the jump isn�t large, so it�s only a 15 Resistance. The player decides to play it safe, and bids only 1 RP. The GM considers this for a moment. The jump is certainly hazardous if the character fails, so they talk about it, and decide that a bid of 15 is more appropriate. This way, on a roll of Complete Victory for the chasm, the player will be at 45 RP, which converts barely to a permanent effect (like dying). The player rolls, and the chasm gets a Major Victory. This results in 30 RP, which converts to a 23 point Ability. The GM narrates his character coming to a screeching halt before leaping, and suddenly chickening out. He assigns the Ability as a Fear of Precipices 3W to the character.

Extended Contest
In an extended contest, two characters are dueling for the honor of a fair maiden. The Hero is using his Swordsmanship 5W as his primary Ability, and his opponent, the Count, is using his Rapier Wit 7W. The player says that his Hero starts off the combat with a daring lunge at the Count, bidding 15 points. The Count defends with his Fencing 3W and wins a marginal victory giving the Hero 8 RP. The Hero decides to take the loss as a direct loss instead of adding it to his total. The GM narrates the opponent backpedaling, and lashing out simultaneously to inflict a cut to the Hero�s right arm. The GM assigns this result as a Arm Gash 8 ability to the Hero.

Next round, the Count decides to take an unrelated action to gain the upper hand by leaping to a table. The GM assigns a resistance of 8 to the table, and rolls his Leap 17. A minor success results in the Count gaining a Height 8 ability.

The Hero tries to even the odds by leaping up as well on his round. He fails with a Major Failure, and the GM assigns him a Foolish Looking 16 as he describes the Hero as stumbling and not being able to make the easy jump.

The Count on his round returns to the main contest, and uses his Rapier Wit to insult the Hero with a bid of 7. The Hero Defends with his Devoted to Lady 3W penalized by his Foolish flaw to 1W. The Count gets a Marginal Success for 4 RP. The Hero has already used his one chance to convert to a flaw, so this becomes his new total for the contest. The GM narrates the Count insulting the character for being such a clod.

The Hero comes back with a committed swing at the Count�s legs, ignoring the Count�s blade, bidding 15 RP. The player bumps up the result of the roll to a Complete Victory, which results is a whopping 45 RP. The GM decides not to have the Count take this as a flaw for dramatic reasons. This brings the Count well over his 27 point limit (from his primary ability with Rapier Wit), ending the contest in the Hero�s favor.

The additional 18 points are cut in half and added to the 27 making a 36 point result. The player asks for the result to be that he�s impressed his lady. The GM narrates the Hero slashing at the Count viciously who tumbles back off the table, drops his blade, and as the Hero comes over to cover him and claim victory, the Count praises the Hero�s enthusiasm and skill with the sword. This, the GM rules results in the PC getting a 16W Impressed Maiden ability. The player then moves on to a new contest about changing that Impressed ability to a True Love ability.

Mike

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es