Re: HeroQuest on Gor

From: styopa004 <steve_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:33:49 -0000

> > 1. Gor is NOT a magical place. This means that about half the
rules
> > are thrown out. Characters can have Skills, Abilities,
> > Relationships, Flaws, and Followers as long as they are not
magical
> > in nature. But, is this enough? Do you think that the HeroQuest
> > system, stripped of Magical Abilities, Spells, Feats, Magical
Items,
> > Cults, ect. is robust enough for play?

Actually, I was thinking for a long time about using Hero Wars (it was a while ago) as the basis for a rules set either for a modern espionage game, or for a futuristic science-fiction game (far future or even just post-apocalypse* future like Gamma World or Twilight 2k).

Anyway, ither one would, I think run well in the rules set; HQ rules do two things that d20 systems (for example) simply don't: 1) they scale extremely well. "Pilot 6w2" augmented by "Blockade Running 17" vs. "Patrol 2w" augmented by "Extensive Scanners 19" is resolved the same way as a knife fight between the hero and a 7- tentacled alien.
2) they represent indirect conflicts very, very well. Most d20 systems are great with direct competition. Slash vs. parry, arm wrestling, sneak vs. scan - great for the medieval roleplaying world where relatively little takes place beyond bowshot. But HQ rules also systematize the more typically modern indirect conflicts of personality, intimidation, propaganda, etc.

I thought it would work great, actually. My only hesitation is that Space Opera players seem to tend to be gearheads, who love simulative minutae and detailed rules systems like Phoenix Command or Aftermath.

I just never had time to lay out all my rules on paper or in HTML for the web. :(