Guardian Essence vrs Guardian Being

From: yinkin_the_cat <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:01:32 -0000

I wasn't expecting this to come up so fast in this campaign - before we even started playing - but...

I'm trying to better understand how a guardian essence works.

For a heroband, you get a guardian being (wytr, lare, davu etc). The being's abilities are 13,13 and 13 + 15 pts. The members can spend HP to increase abilities or to discover new abilities. These abilities augment all members and - in the case of an archetype - can be used as active abilities by the leader.

Guardian essences are basically a source of raw magical power - that also has abilities that can augment or be used as active abilities. BUT, the person using the essence can add all of the ability scores together and use that number to figure out an augment.

What I am trying to figure out is: Is a guardian essence just another type of guardian being? Would you treat it the same way as a wytr.

What made me stop to ponder this was when every player tossed in a HP to discover a new ability of their guardian. That is an instant +13 AP if they decide to use it as an AP battery. I've decided that I'm okay with it as 6 players each spent HP on it it doesn't seem too big an increase for 6 HP.

What do the rest of you think and how have you done it?

W.
www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha