Re: Presents from a shaman

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:31:51 +0000 (GMT)

> The hero can use his charm
> because he is part of the "Storm Tribe Tradition"
> (which is really the
> "Storm Tribe Pantheon", seen from Kolat's point of
> view).

Aha! That suddenly makes it all much clearer!

> > If I could understand the mystic rules, I might
> try :)
> > But then they've been refuted right out of HQ,
> haven't
> > they?
>
> They'll be back eventually, when Greg decides what
> the rules are supposed to
> represent, and someone writes *good* rules for that
> representation :-).

Sounds like good things to wait for, but don't rush on my account :)

> I keep using Kolat and the Storm tribe as an
> example because it is a
> known animist element in a nominally theistic
> "eligion".

And the Orlanthi are one bunch of people I do know at least a little about, so this helps no end.

> > > Common Magic isn't "made" by any
> > > magico-religious figure, it is personal to the
> hero.
> >
> > er... because he personally went and had a chat
> with
> > that spirit of the gorse bush? Or whatever the
> spirit came from?
>
> Yep. It may be family knowledge that if you sleep
> under that particular
> gorse bush you get [some magic], or it may be
> something your hero discovered
> for herself, but it is true protestantism -you don't
> need an intercessor to work with it :-).

Nor a Spirit Face ability, or anything? Useful...

> If you'd like to take this off-line, I'm available
> :-).

Isn't he wonderful :)
(and will take it off-line if only to satisfy his curiosity - it's only fair!)

Jane Williams