Re: Mixed Religion Branching (Was:Presents from a shaman)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:13:05 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Mike,
>
>First, let me apologize for somewhat snarky message yesterday.

No problem. I know my persistence can be annoying. I am fascinated by this stuff, you understand. :-)

>But those *are* baselines - Bison Riders are baseline Animists, Dara
>Happans
>are baseline Theists, etc.

No, right, I get that. This is all definitely very clear. What I'm wondering is how these baselines are affected by mixing. Apparently we don't have an example of that, really. I'm guessing we will when the Kolat stuff comes out, however. :-)

>The one religion that we have detailed, the one that is supposedly *so*
>strictly Theistic, isn't. How strictly you want to adhere to the Homeland
>descriptions of any of the un-detailed religions is currently up to you.
>Will Issaries *ever* get around to detailing the religion of Teshnos?
>Maybe,
>but I wouldn't hold my breath for too long.

Heh, and that's fine. I'd settle for how you'd run it if you're interested in saying. Or I can wait for the Kolating material and see if we can extrapolate from there.

>Don't put your personal projects on hold waiting for the Complete Book Of
>the Five Thousand Gods of Teshnos, go ahead with your project. Especially
>as, if I remember correctly, your project is not Glorantha anyway. The
>Three-Otherworld model of magic is specifically Gloranthan, and other
>worlds
>don't have to adhere to it.

Oh, lord, my projects don't even wait for me. I always have my own practical work around. I'm just interested in how other people do these things, or plan to. Also what the rules are as far as we can tell so that I don't go any farther afield than I have to.

Heck, for the SW thing, I actually have combination second and third level keywords. For example, the astrologers are theist/wizards. Basically the goddess of the stars (in question) is so hands off she works something like a monotheistic diety. But not quite. One Aspect, and grimoires otherwise. Pretty fun.

>Now, speciofically for Teshnos, it's a Common Magic religion according to
>HQ
>56. that means that no-one is "entitled" to the five charms of a Spiritist,
>unless you make up a Spirit Tradition (none are listed) and allow the
>player
>to specify that he has joined it.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm guessing that, like any common magic religion keyword, that there's no associated magic. Some abilities, yes, but nothing other than that.

>I would say that Teshnos, as currently
>presented, is the *most* like old RQ in it's presentation of magic and
>cults
>(where we had a Orlanth Adventurous, a Storm Bull, a Humakti, a Yelmalian
>and a Black Fang Brotherhood cultist all adventuring together with no
>concerns about who belonged to what pantheon, 'cause they all belonged to
>the "RQ+Cults of Prax Pantheon").

In that it's sorta pick and choose? I like that it's an option given that it makes sense with the belief system. And it's balanced, too, given that there are no first level abilities (just more common magic like everyone has). Neat.

>From one POV, that makes the Teshnan religion pretty basic. Just refer to
the second level for whatever specialized keywords the character is into.

>I did say that at the beginning of the last brouhaha about maintaining two
>religions, but as long as it is within one religion (Kolat in the Storm
>tribe), then no problem.

Right. I shoulda caught the contradiction in my reading. Thanks for bearing with me.

Mike