RE: Re: Movement rates

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:28:37 -0600

>From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

>Checking back to the email I was answering: that's
>what you appear to say here:
>
> > In all cases, the character either has a
> > dramatic goal, or he does not.
> > If the former then "a few days" always suffices.
> > If the latter, 17 resistance does.
>
>And no, "a few days" does not always suffice. Not when
>the time limit is a *known* number of days. Sometimes
>it may well do - but *not* in the cases I'm actually
>trying to discuss!

No, my contention was in the cases you were discussing that the answer wouldn't be "a few days" but 17. Check back, I keep saying that in all the cases that you've pointed out that the characters have had goals, and that the resistance is the answer that I would give. Which is based on some sort of plausible backdrop info.

In any case, it might not work for you, but that's merely a stylistic thing, not a flaw in my methodology.

>My preferred method (PBeM, not F2F), is that the
>players see as little of the purely abstract
>resistances as possible. I tell them how many miles,
>the fact that they reckon they can do it in so many
>days because they're tough but that they'll be
>knackered at the end, and they roleplay from there.

I play very much the opposite. And I've had no complaints so far. But at this point we're getting very much into style of play here, and it's just preference at that point. All I can say is that my version works in play.

Again, I've never said that your method won't work, and don't know where you're getting that from. I'm just saying there's another way to play that doesn't at all require some of the steps that you put in.

Mike